An Old Treat — Fast Donuts
Last night I made an old treat here. I have made it before but not for many,many years.
- buy a can of the cheapest canned biscuits you can find.
- you will need a deep fryer, like for french fries, or a deep pan with oil.
- a donut topping: cake frosting, cinnamon and sugar, powdered sugar, a glaze, jelly, whatever you like
- open the can of biscuits, flatten each one ( can even stick your finger in the middle if you want a hole there)
- then drop into hot oil, brown each side
- allow to cool just a bit, not to much, just enough to be able to handle
- then add your topping
- these are not as good when cold, but I had no left overs, so no problem there.
Tommy and TommieLynn loved them and asked when I was making more. I just laughed. I know there are homemade recipes out there but these are fast donuts. I paid 35 cents for a can of 10 biscuits, and had some left over frosting from a cake. If you find a good sale on canned biscuits, open them up and wrap each biscuit in wax paper and place the number you want to use each time in a freezer bag and freeze them. My Granny made these when I was a kid, and we all loved them.
Beware they disappear faster then you can get them cooked.