Fall Is Coming – Getting ready for winter
Yesterday while I was doing chores, I notice dried leaves on the ground. Fall is coming, I just love the fall time of the year. I’m not sure when it start here, as I have not stopped to look. I really need to stop more often and look around and smell the roses. I have been trying to get ready for winter and now I’m stopping for a few moments to enjoy the fall. The trees are starting to show they too are getting ready for winter. And I saw our first wooly worm, and he was as black as coal. Which here means a long cold winter. I am so thankful the Lord allows seasons. Even thou the seasons of life are hard at times, I know He knows what’s best. And no one season last forever.
Things I still have to do to get ready for winter:
- need to fill all my heater gas tanks( we use 100lb’s, and 30lb’s tanks so we can fill them as money allows. We use about 200lb a month for the heater and 30 lb a month for the stove)
- pull out and sort, winter clothes and see what’s needed new this year
- working on homemade Christmas gifts ( this I really enjoy)
- getting the gardens clean out, strawberries mulched for winter
- do a final check on food supply’s and goods
- keep an eye out for candles at the thrift store. I usually get them for .05-.10 each. these are good when power goes out, or just because. I love candles,to me they are relaxing.
- get all quilts and blankets washed
- close up holes in the house’s under pinning and cover the end of the house vent holes.
- get chicken house ready for winter
- get up and clean all stock tank heaters (we put these in the animals water tubs to keep the water from freezing.)
- check all oil lamps and change the wicks
- blow out the gas heaters, they get dust in them during the summer.
- reinstall the hood over the out side water, the hood has a light in it the keep the outside water line from freezing. ( I’ll post a photo when it’s up. Tommy made it out of scrap wood. And it was my biggest blessing last winter.)
- make strawberry jam ( 8 – 10 gallon freezer bags full of strawberries)
- make butter (over 10 gallons of cream in the freezer).
- make and canned homemade veg. beef soup for winter use.
I know there is more I just can’t think of what else right now.
What are you doing at your house to prepare for winter? I’d like to know because I might be forgetting to do something or not thought if it.
Take time to day to have a look around out side, see all God’s wonderful work. And enjoy what He has sent you today.